Saturday, August 6, 2016

Love of Sewing!

I thought I'd start by introducing myself! I'm Amber, 35 years old, graduated from Ricks and BYU, so many years ago, and I love crafting, scrapbooking, but right now, mostly sewing! It's my stress reliever, my emotional stabilizer (besides chocolate of course), and my motivation to accomplish more. However, with my crazy family, I haven't done as much as I'd like recently. So I'm starting this blog to help me stay active with my sewing...but before we go there, a little more intro is needed. I decided I want to sew at least one thing per week during the 2016-2017 school year. How realistic is this goal? Much more realistic than sewing during the summer that's for sure! :) It won't always be easy, but I really think I can do it. And if I miss, it better be for a darn good reason. So on to the rest of the intros...since you will be seeing a lot of my family throughout the year!

I have a wonderful hubs, who works hard and is a great help for our family. He's an apprentice pipe fitter and has a little over a year before he becomes a journeyman. He's been working towards this goal for almost 5 years now, and really does a great job! He's a wonderful and loving man, husband, and dad, and I couldn't do any of this without him. Together, we have 5 wonderful, crazy, amazing, and did I mention crazy kids!

My oldest is 9, and he's a mini version of my hubs physically, but mentally and emotionally, he's all me! He just started 4th grade this week, loves to read, draw (getting darn good too), swim, dance, and eat, eat, eat! He's definitely a crazy kid, and keeps us busy and on our toes. He's currently a 9 year old in a teenager's body. He started last school year in a 10/12 size, but is now in men's sizes for everything but his feet! But he's only 1 size away from that!

My next is my 7.5 year old son who started 2nd grade this week. He's a tall, skinny boy, and has amazing speed and endurance. I don't even know if it's really endurance, since when he runs, he doesn't have to endure tiredness at all, and just runs without getting tired, sweating, or having shortness of breath! He doesn't love running, but he's really quite good at it. He enjoys reading, swimming, copying anything his brother does, and cuddling with this mama! He's currently wears a size 8, or 10s in jeans, and seems to be getting skinnier as he gets taller, so he's going to be the one to give me altering practice that's for sure!

Next is our first girl, age 5. She just started kindergarten this week and loves so many things! I can't say she's a girly girl, because she's not; but she sure does love ruffles, pink, dresses, and everything girly. I also can't say she's a tom boy, because she's not; but she sure loves superheroes like her brothers, and loves taking her ruffles, pink, and dresses out to the dirt and mud. She also loves wearing cowgirl boots, and has her own style. She usually picks out her own fabric choices, though sometimes I veto them because they're a little too much for my eyes. But usually she gets what she wants! She's wearing a 6 RTW most of the time, but her legs are always a little shorter than her upper body.

Finally, we end with our 2 year old b/g twins! They are cuties and so much fun, but they definitely increased the crazy factor in our family. Some days are wonderful, peaceful, and fun; others are loud, messy, and filled with tears. But they are definitely a great addition to our family and I wouldn't change a thing about them. Lucky for me, they are pretty much the same measurements right now, even though they have completely different body styles. They're wearing 3t right now, but little man has a long torso with short legs, and little miss has longer legs and a shorter torso. Pretty cute though!

I started sewing 6 years ago, and most everything I have learned has been from blogs or a dear friend. I started by making things for my sons' birthday parties, turned to bibs, hair products, and a little dabble in clothes when my girl was born, and now love sewing with knits and wovens, but mostly with knits! I was very active with an etsy shop years ago, but I couldn't balance life, kids, family, the shop, and obstacles at the time, so I've been taking a break, improving my skills, and will go back someday when my twins are in school!

So on to my first post about sewing! I hope you enjoy my posts throughout this school year and after! Sometimes I will be making things from patterns I already own, and other times, I'll be making patterns I'm testing and may not be able to post right away. But I'll definitely post them up as soon as I can, and try to do at least one post per week!

No comments:

Post a Comment