Saturday, August 6, 2016

Darling Daisy by Sew Like My Mom

Part 3 of the summer testing! I had the chance to test the Darling Daisy pattern for Sew Like My Mom. This was one of her first patterns, so this test was a redo test. She updated the pattern a bit, added some options, and added layers. I don't know what this pattern was like originally, but I love the redo!

This pattern is for woven fabrics, and is fun and twirly. This dress comes in different options; knee length includes solid fabric dress and 1/2/3 tiered dress choices, and maxi length includes a 3 tiered option. I chose the 3 tiered maxi version, because my girl doesn't sit very lady like, and loves to twirl and spin! It has an elastic neckline and is easy to get on and off. This dress comes in sizes 12m-8.


I've been holding onto this bird fabric for the last 3 years until I found the best pattern to use it for, and it was perfect for this dress! It's also a great pattern to use those coordinating fabrics.

Once again, you start with the height on this dress and adjust the width from the height if necessary. I used my 5 year old again so I wouldn't need to remeasure, and because I knew the maxi length would be perfect for her height. I tested size 5.

The dress was very easy to assemble. I was nervous doing the bias tape around the sleeves, but it went very smoothly. I chose to use store bought bias tape because I don't have the patience to make bias tape myself, and I haven't purchased a bias tape maker yet.

I have to tell you, there was so much fabric on the last tier! I can't even imagine doing all that fabric on a bigger size! But the final product was so worth it. I also have to say, I love that you start sewing the bottom tiers together first, then move up towards the bodice. I'm sure that's the best way to do it, but I loved it because I don't think I would have ever finished the last tier if I'd worked my way down. Yes, I know, it's all in the head! But knowing that I had less to do on each consecutive tier made it easier to go on.

When the dress was done, my girl started twirling around and had a blast. Then my toddler saw the dress, looked down at her shorts and shirt, held her shirt, and started spinning around like big sister. So I knew I needed to make her a matching one. But since we don't often wear sleeveless, and this dress has a lot of shoulder exposure, I had to make a few modifications before making one for little miss.

So here's the final product on both girls! Not the greatest picture of my girls since it was very sunny on that Sunday morning, but you get the idea. I added a strip of fabric to each side to add a little sleeve to the dress. I added this fabric before attaching the neckline to the dress and slid the rectangle inside the neckline, and made the width the same size as the gap between front and back bodice pieces. The length is personal preference. It worked out wonderfully and added just enough coverage to wear these to church.

You can find Sew Like My Mom on facebook and on etsy. I can see many more of these dresses in the future. Can't you just picture a dress made out of western fabric for a rodeo? That's what I'm picturing at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment